2009年3月9日月曜日

Non-Japanese English Class Being Obligatory at High School

All in all, I cannot help admitting that I have serious problems with English-listening ability. It seems that as many as six years of English education given to me do not contribute to my improvement of English-listening skills in the way they should. Dedicatedly and enthusiastically devoting oneself into something for as many as six years, I believe, completely deserves accompanying fruitful results, leaving one a sense of fulfilment to his heart content. But I, who can safely swear to having devoted myself into English studying very hard, now find myself totally at a loss about my listening ability, caught by the desperate fear that I would finish my life without feeling any accomplishment.
However, I can also safely swear that I’m not the only one who is obsessed by this thought: it is often said the deficiency of English communication skills is almost a “pandemic disease” common to the Japanese people. Yes, generally speaking, Japanese lack an ability to communicate with people in a foreign language face-to-face. Regarding this unfavourable reality as radically ascribed to the present Japanese education system, the Ministry of Education announced last year that they would make a fundamental change in it in the near future ― the change in which the future English class at every high school should be run on non-Japanese basis. Teachers will be required to use English as much as they can during class and encourage students to attempt to make themselves understood in English. Such a plan can be said to directly reflect government’s serious desire of making as many Japanese as possible flexible to the current global communities. But of course, it is easily understood that this plan has brought everlasting controversies among those concerned, newly becoming one of the obnoxious burdens for classroom teachers. Some say that it is highly impractical and hard to realize to implement non-Japanese English class, given the harsh fact that there are some students who cannot distinguish even an alphabet “b” and ”d”, and that teachers also have to make it their own business to teach some stuffs in need of Japanese explanation, like extremely difficult grammar items, English-to-Japanese translation, and so on. Also taking into account the today’s tendency of the entrance examination of university, we are convinced that to all appearance reading and writing skills are put more emphasis on than listening and speaking; which means that it does not seem to be based on prudent consideration to recklessly introduce English conversation into class at the sacrifice of tasks more beneficial and rewarding to work on.
No matter how lamentably I’m imprisoned in the hopeless anguish of my disastrous listening skills, after all I still feel that putting frantic and arduous efforts into all the possible measures imaginable to improve my listening ability, would never deserve sacrificing my significantly precious time to indulge myself in reading and writing.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿